Do you know what tastes amazing and satisfies my appetite perfectly? A portobello mushroom burger, of course! Does this look good to you?
The prep time is about an hour total, but you don’t have to marinate as long if you don’t want to. This is the perfect meal for when you’re in the mood for something healthy, filling, and relatively simple to whip up. This recipe serves two, but you can customize it if you’re cooking for fewer or more people.
You will need:
2 whole portobello mushrooms
2 pieces of whole wheat bread
Spinach and/or other leafy greens
1/4 cup EVOO
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1. Place your mushrooms on a plate with the ridged inner part facing up.
2. Combine onion, garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.
3. Pour the mixture evenly over the mushrooms and let them marinate for an hour (half an hour works, too).
4. Heat a lubricated skillet on medium.
5. Put the mushrooms and the garlic-EVOO-onion-balsamic vinegar mixture into the skillet.
6. Flip when necessary. When the mushrooms are cooked evenly, you’re done!
7. Toast the bread, then spread hummus on top and add the leafy greens.
8. Place the mushroom on top.
9. Scoop remaining onion/garlic/liquid on top of the mushroom.
10. Voila! Enjoy with a knife and fork for a non-messy dining experience.