For a while, I have had the vision of eating a piece of toast with the egg inside. I googled it and I discovered that this was, in fact, a thing that people do for a quick and filling breakfast. Egg in a basket. Egg in a blanket. Toad in the hole. Eggs with hats. Sunshine toast. Whatever you call it, they are all the same! I decided to try a healthier twist on the recipes I found by toasting the bread first instead of frying the toast with butter in the pan. Of course, it’s completely up to you on how you prepare this delightful 170-calorie treat!
1 piece of whole wheat bread
Cooking spray and/or butter
1. Put your bread in the toaster to a light-medium toast.
2. Use the cup to punch out a circular-shaped hole into the piece of toast.
3. Warm up a skillet on medium-high heat and lubricate with cooking spray.
3. Once heated, place hole-y toast into the skillet.
4. Crack egg into the toast’s hole. (As you can see, some of the egg whites spilled outside of the bread. I promise the finished product won’t taste different at the end of the day, but it may not be as pretty!)
5. Allow the egg to cook enough so that it won’t get runny and fall apart when you flip it.
6. Once firm, flip it and allow the other side time to cook.
7. There you have it: egg in a basket! As you can see, mine didn’t turn out beautifully because I toasted it for a little bit too long at the beginning and the whites bled out a little. That being said, it tasted absolutely delicious and left me feeling full for hours after!