We had not gone grocery shopping yet that week, so the contents of our fridge and pantry looked pretty sparse. I was hungry after a long day and was definitely not in the mood to head to the grocery store. Out of curiosity, I typed in a few ingredients we had lying around: black beans and couscous. As a result, I discovered this wonderful recipe that miraculously contained ingredients we already had in the fridge. This recipe is very easy to whip up, it’s high in protein, it’s flavorful, and it’s filling.
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 and 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
3 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small onion or half big onion
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 can corn, drained
2 cans black beans, drained
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Bring broth to a boil in a two quart or larger saucepan.
2. Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from the burner. Let stand for at least five minutes (the following steps will probably take longer than that, so you’re golden).
3. In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, and cumin.
4. Then, add the onion, green pepper, cilantro, corn, and beans into the mix. Stir everything up so the mixture coats evenly.
5. Add the couscous to the large bowl and mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.