About a year ago, I remember seeing a recipe for banana ice cream as a very healthy alternative to the fat-laden frozen treat I have enjoyed for years. Yesterday, I finally decided to put the recipe to a test and boy, was I blown away! You will hardly be able to tell that this isn’t real ice cream. Wow. This is officially my new absolute favorite dessert!
2 frozen bananas
1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut milk (or as needed)
1. Peel two bananas and place them in the freezer overnight. (If you want your ice cream sooner than that, you can alternatively pop your finished product into the freezer for an hour or two before consumption.)
2. Break apart the frozen bananas with your hands and place the pieces into a food processor.
3. Add 1/4 cup of coconut milk (or almond milk or milk milk–up to you!).
4. Blend away. Depending on your blender, you may have to add more milk as needed (I definitely added more).
5. Once your bananas reach a creamy consistency, add the peanut butter and chocolate chips. You won’t need to blend for very long (shorter if you want chunkier chocolate chips and longer if you want tiny specs of chocolate).
Seriously, that’s it. You have delicious-tasting banana “ice cream” that is so much healthier than what you buy from the store! I can’t wait to try different flavors (I got some great ideas here).